Ho, ho, the mistletoe, hung where you can see! Everyone knows of kissing under the mistletoe, and many families buy poinsettias to decorate with during the holiday season. However, it is crucial to be careful about what you put in your house this Christmas. Poinsettias and mistletoe are beautiful, colored the signature red and green of Christmas, but they both hold hidden dangers.
Mistletoe is potentially hazardous. According to Poison Control, mistletoe does not pose an extreme threat, but should still be kept out of reach of pets and children. American mistletoe poses little threat, but its European counterpart is much more deadly. The European variety is not sold in the United States. Even so, mistletoe should be kept out of reach and stored properly. If any amount of mistletoe is ingested, call poison control immediately.
More dangerous is the beautiful poinsettia flower. The leaves, petals, and sap can cause a rash and gastrointestinal problems such as an upset stomach, vomiting, and diarrhea. Poinsettia is not fatal but should be kept out of reach of pets and children. They are still beautiful decoration around the holiday season, and many schools use them as a fundraiser. Just be careful to display them out of reach.
Enjoy decorating for the holiday season, but be sure to do so safely. Plant poinsettias or hang mistletoe in your home, but be sure your kids and pets can’t reach them. Happy Holidays from Foods Alive! Stay safe, and have fun!