Cacao Powder - Organic
translation missing: en.product.variants.error_message
Cacao beans are the source of all chocolate, cacao nibs, cacao powder, and cacao butter. Cacao beans were so highly cherished by the Aztecs and Mayans that they were often used as currency and in religious ceremonies.
To learn more about the history of cacao, click here.
- Our cacao powder comes from cacao beans that are grown on the island of the Dominican Republic under a dense forest canopy basking in the shade of tropical fruit trees and the Caribbean sun. They are grown in nutrient-rich island soil, which gives it a unique flavor profile that is unlike any other.
- Each pod of cacao beans is hand-picked and selected only when ripe and mature, providing you with the best possible flavor and nutritional value.
- Cacao powder is created by cold-pressing raw, organic cacao beans into a pressed cake separating the oil from the protein and fiber.
- A high-accuracy thermometer monitors the process, so that the temperature is never allowed to exceed 120° F and is usually 104° F. All other cocoa powders are exposed to temperatures as high as 300° F!
- The remaining dry cake-like material is then cold-ground and fine-milled so that only the finest, most bio-available raw cacao particles become the finished product. This allows for maximum digestion and antioxidant absorption.
- Cacao is incredibly rich in magnesium and is one of the best sources for this essential mineral. Other essential minerals present in cacao are calcium, zinc, iron, copper, sulfur, magnesium, and potassium.
- The cacao bean also contains more antioxidant flavonoids than any other food tested including blueberries, red wine, and green tea. In fact, studies have shown cacao to have over twice as many antioxidants as red wine and three times as much as green tea.
- Raw cacao contains many chemicals that enhance physical and mental well-being including alkaloids, proteins, magnesium, beta-carotene, leucine, linoleic acid, lipase, lysine. It also contains some neurotransmitters, which are the so-called bliss chemical associated with the feeling of being in love. Raw cacao also contains theobromine which is similar in effect to caffeine.
- Add cacao powder to all your favorite smoothies, teas, coffee mixes, protein drinks, desserts, or anything else you can think of.
- Just one or two spoonfuls can transform any recipe into a healthy chocolate treat.
Raw Cacao Powder*
Shelf Life: 2 years
Country of Origin: Dominican Republic
Special notice to customers in California ONLY
(California Proposition 65) WARNING: Consuming this product can expose you to cadmium, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects, or other reproductive harm. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/food.
You can check out our Prop 65 page for more info by clicking here.
Click here, to view the heavy metal test results.
Why is there a Proposition 65 warning on my superfood?
Please click here for the answer.
Is your cacao powder tested for flavonoids such as epicatechin?
While our cacao powder isn't tested for the exact levels of flavonoids such as epicatechin it is estimated at 150mg per 100g in cacao powder. Click Here, to view a link with estimates for phenols including epicatechin.
- Orders over $49 qualify for free shipping! (Order total must be over $49 after discounts are applied). For more information please click here.
If you live outside of the US, please contact us for a shipping quote.
- Orders are generally shipped within 24-48 business hours of being placed. However, please note that we do not ship on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. The reason we do not ship on Fridays is that we try to avoid our products sitting on a shipping truck over the weekend.
- The bulk 5-pound option is made to order, so this product can take up to 1-2 weeks to ship out.
- If our production schedule for the bulk size shows that it will take longer than 2 weeks to ship out, we will use our discretion to send you the equivalent replacement in our smaller bags instead.