Super Foods You Need in Your Diet and Why
What are 'Super Foods' and why are they good for us?
'Super Food' is a term used to describe food items that are more nutrient-dense compared to others. They supply amazing beneficial properties along with essential vitamins and minerals that are needed for the proper functioning of the body.
Some places where you can purchase Super Foods are at you local grocery store, Walmart, Meijer, health food shop and yes, here at Foods Alive! :)
Below is a list of 10 Super Foods that you should incorporate in your diet along with their beneficial properties:
1. Blueberries -
- These berries are FILLED with antioxidants, vitamin C, and potassium. They are known to lower the risk of heart disease and cancer. They have great anti-inflammatory properties and are considered the "king" of antioxidant foods. They are delicious on top of a salad, in oatmeal, or even on their own as a little snack! I love to put a handful of frozen blueberries in a bowl and pour some almond milk on top of them as an evening snack!
2. Flax Seeds -
- These seeds are tiny nutritional powerhouses. They are packed with fiber, omega-3 fatty acids, lignans and antioxidants. I love to throw them in my protein energy balls to eat after a workout. Lucky for you, we offer them on our site through different crackers, as well as separately in bags!
3. Goji Berries -
- These berries are an absolute powerhouse. They contain 500 times the amount of vitamin C by weight of oranges, 18 essential amino acids, and a combination of polysaccharides, carotenoids, and anthocyanins. They are amazing on top of yogurt and smoothie bowls, in trail mix (here is our Globe Trekker Mix you'd love), and even eaten alone! We offer different sized bags of goji berries on our website here. :)
4. Salmon and Sardines -
- Salmon is considered a superfood because it contains essential amounts of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin A. Salmon supports both eye and heart health along with boosting the immune system. Sardines are great for decreasing insulin resistance, they are rich in selenium, give you glowing skin and hair, and strengthen bones. I feel like sardines get such a bad rep, but they are actually so yummy. I love to incorporate both of these foods onto my salads, into dishes, or even eaten on their own.
5. Dark Leafy Greens -
- These greens include kale, spinach, collard greens, arugula, etc. They have an abundant amount of vitamin K and antioxidants which enhances bone strength, helps to prevent cancer, and improves eye health. You can easily add these into your diet through making a salad, incorporating them into soup, blending them into a smoothie, and more. I recommend throwing a handful of spinach into your smoothies - it's tasteless!
6. Green Tea -
- Green Tea is FULL of antioxidants that help fight off bacteria. It also boosts brain function, aids in weight loss, and protects against cancer and heart disease. It's amazing for skin and hair health as well. Once I started to incorporate this tea into my diet 1-2 times a day, I found that my skin improved tremendously!
7. Nuts and Seeds -
- both of these things are rich in fiber and healthy fats that are amazing for your overall health. They are known to relieve stress, protect against heart disease, and keep you full for a long time. I love to bring a small bag of mixed nuts to work and snack on them throughout the day to keep me satisfied. Here at Foods Alive, we offer a variety of both nuts and seeds to keep the heart and body healthy!
8. Ginger -
- this specific root that comes from China is packed with antioxidants. It is known to relieve stomach pain and nausea, it protects against heart disease, fights inflammation, and has been found to reduce the risk of dementia. I love to put ginger in my water/green tea and blend it in my smoothies. It adds a little spice. :)
9. Sweet Potatoes -
- these potatoes are loaded with fiber, both vitamin A and C, potassium, and a large amount of antioxidants to fight inflammation. And most of all, they're like candy... but extremely healthy. Some of my favorite ways to eat these is to either dice them up or cut them into strips, drizzle olive oil on them, and throw on a little bit of salt and garlic powder. Delish.
10. Turmeric -
- this is a bright yellow/orange colored spice that is potent with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. It aids in pain relief and helps prevent cancer, diabetes, and heart disease. Incorporate this spice in your foods, drinks, etc. I love to make spa water at home and throw in some turmeric with a little bit of ground black pepper (helps activate it). Learn more about spa water here!
These 10 superfoods are easy to access along with implementing into your diet. You don't have to purchase all, but adding a few here and there can improve your health by a long stretch!
Treat your body well :)
You can find us on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, and Pinterest @FoodsAlive !